Thursday, January 3, 2008

Obama wins in Iowa!

And so it begins.

I'm very encouraged to see Obama do so well in the Iowa caucus. I was very divided for a long time on who to back in the Democratic race - I think it was an article in the New York Times that convinced me to back him, but I can't remember exactly. All I remember is that I suddenly felt very urgently that we need someone new in the White House. Someone who has fresh ideas, has no connections to people that have been in power or at least influential for the past 40 years, and who has a different background and life experience from those typically in power.

Don't get me wrong - I'm shaking my head at how early this caucus occurred and at our electoral process in general. But that's for another blog.

No matter which Democrat you're backing, you have to be encouraged by how many 20-somethings turned out for the caucus, and we can only hope they will continue to come out across the country. While it is too early to tell how things will shake out across the country, I do find it telling that Clinton's supporters were generally over 65 and Obama's supporters were generally the young crowd. To me this means that for Obama to win ultimately, the younger voters (who typically have a terrible turn out at primaries and general elections) will have to step it up and make their voices heard. In addition, Obama will have to make sure he reaches out to voters across generations and makes his message meaningful for people who want change and people who value experience.

I am comforted that our 3 front-runners all have the right idea. No matter which one comes out ahead I believe I will be able to vote for him or her(!) with confidence. But I am glad to see Obama make such a strong start and hope he can go all the way.

No comments: